Dr. Vetvicka, Professor of Pathology, School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky, answers the three most important questions about Beta glucan:
- Is Beta 1, 3-D glucan safe and effective?For over 40 years, beta glucans have been thoroughly tested on everything from earthworms to human beings….even plants. Use of materials ranging from cancer to infectious disease to allergies…BETA GLUCAN ALWAYS WORKS. It appears that the primary things to consider about these compounds is:
- Are that they are properly and sufficiently purified and
- Are they biologically active?
They are certainly safe.
- Beta glucans seem to have a great range of prices in the marketplace. When one shops, how can one determine if he/she is getting a properly prepared, sufficiently purified and biologically active material?Price is no indicator at all. Unless that particular batch has been properly assayed for purity and potency, you can not know if the dose is in the proper amount. Also, you can not expect a quality product unless every batch is tested…including a test for bioactivity. Many companies test nothing at all.
- How can A.J. Lanigan claim that he has the best Beta 1, 3-D glucan on the market?I can say the following about the A.J. Lanigan brands. He has set the highest standards in the industry for purity and potency. He rejects over 90% of the material produced in their factory and I know of no company in the world that is willing to do that. They can not afford it. I can further state that his brands have been the most intensively studied and we know and understand more about his material than any other available on the market today. He continues to expand this work by comparing materials on a side by side basis and he publicly reports the results. In a market that has many snake oil salesmen, you know best what you are getting when A.J. Lanigan’s name is on the bottle.
Dr. Vetvicka, Professor of Pathology, School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky
- What is Beta 1, 3-D glucan?
- Beta 1, 3-D glucan is the sole active ingredient in Beta Glucan. It is derived from the cell walls of baker’s yeast, making it the precise substance for which the actual glucan macrophage receptor (CR3, mac-1, CD11/CD18) has been identified. Beta 1, 3-D glucan is technically a polybranched polyglucose – so complex some refer to it as a fiber.
- Who will benefit from taking Beta glucan?
- EVERYONE has the potential to benefit from taking Beta glucan WHEN the correct amount is taken; the question is “how much and how often”.
- THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT TO TAKE, to give your immune system the maximum support, is one (1) 500-mg capsule for each 50 pounds of body weight daily.
- TO MAINTAIN A STRONG, HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM, we suggest taking two (2) 100 mg capsules daily for a 220-pound person.
You need to determine how much you want to strengthen your immune system.
- IF YOU ARE FACING SOME HEALTH ISSUES, we suggest taking one (1) 500 mg capsule daily, assess your improvement and increase it if need be until you reach the maximum amount (one (1) 500 mg capsule for each 50 pounds of body weight.)
PLEASE NOTE: Taking MORE THAN the maximum dosage WILL NOT increase your immune activity any more than the maximum dosage. It also WILL NOT HARM YOU.
If you are having any health problems, we recommend that you see a health professional.
Athletes and those who work out extensively will notice more benefit from their workouts while taking Beta glucan. Animals will also benefit from taking Beta glucan, because their immune systems are very similar to ours.
- Are the effects of Beta 1, 3-D glucan backed by scientific research?
- Hundreds of scientific studies originating from such prestigious institutions as Tulane, Harvard, and the U. S. Armed Forces attest to the safety and efficacy of Beta 1, 3-D glucan.
Beta glucan carries an approved GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) rating by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). That means that IT IS SAFE FOR EVERYONE.
- Why haven’t we heard about Beta glucan before?
- For nearly four decades, Beta 1, 3-D glucan has been available to laboratories and medical schools. However, to purchase 1 (one) 100-mg sample of Beta 1, 3-D glucan, cost was close to $200.00! This made it highly prohibitive from a commercial standpoint.
- Is Beta glucan derived from bakers yeast the most effective type of glucan?
- Glucans derived from barley, oats, or other grains have been shown to be ineffective as an immune modulator. ONLY Beta 1, 3-D glucan from the cell wall of baker’s yeast has been shown to have a powerful effect on the immune system.
- I am allergic to yeast. Will this cause a problem?
- No. Our Beta 1, 3-D Glucan will not cause an allergy. Only highly purified and well manufactured Beta Glucan can assure you of this. As the purification process takes place, all of the unnecessary and potentially allergenic components are removed to harmless levels. Don’t trust cheap sources, as they often use crude dead yeast cells which could cause allergic complications.
- Will Beta glucan cause over-stimulation of my immune system?
- No. The presence of Beta glucan potentiates the receptors on the surface of the macrophage. Only the presence of non-self (virus, bacteria, fungi, cancer, parasites, etc.) causes the macrophage to become stimulated. Beta glucan alone does not stimulate.
- Will Beta 1, 3-D glucan cause or expand an autoimmune situation?
- Beta 1, 3-D glucan does not create a danger.
- Are there any drug reactions that can occur when taking Beta glucan?
- There are no adverse effects known when Beta 1, 3-D glucan is taken in conjunction with pharmacological drugs. Beta 1, 3-D glucan safely enhances the effect of many anti-infective drugs, cholesterol reducing drugs and chemotherapeutic agents.
- Since Beta glucan is a very large molecule how does it get through the blood brain barrier?
- Most people try to look at BETA GLUCAN as having some sort of chemical effect to a tumor or to a virus or to a mold, mildew or fungus. We are not looking to these materials to produce any type of chemical or a drug effect. When Beta goes into the body, it potentiates (makes effective or active) or modulates/causes a response to be affected simply by their presence at the lymph or the blood.